Happy Birthday, Little Blog...


For several months, I had tossed around the idea of starting a blog. I had several reservations, the main one being that I had no idea what it would be about. Then last February, I went home for a visit and a group of us (my sisters, my mom, and some friends) had a big discussion about what I could write about and what I could call it (All About Ash, Just Kidding... But Seriously, and something about "Rash" were mentioned... thank goodness none of them made the cut.) So, I got home and gave it a little more thought, then finally took the plunge.

A year ago today, I blogged for the first time. I wasn't really sure what I would write about on this blog, or if anyone other than my family would read it, or how long I would keep it up.

I still don't have any clear guidelines as to what I write about (my rule of thumb is "whatever I want"), my family and a few friends read along, and a year later I'm still going (strong? you tell me.) I really do love having this outlet for sharing about our lives, my shopping tendencies, the occasional rant, some recipes, and whatever else floats my boat... tickles my fancy... okay, I'll stop. Another thing I love about it is the opportunity to write in "my" voice... I've never had a chance to do that before (unless you count my diary in seventh grade, which I don't, since I burned it) and I really enjoy the whole conversational atmosphere.

Anyway, I'm so very thankful to each of you, whoever you may be, for reading. I've said this before, but it doesn't really make sense to me to spend time writing posts that no one reads. I'm not saying you have to have a huge following (since I don't myself) but I know enough of you read that I don't feel like I'm wasting my time. Every time someone "likes" a post on Facebook, or shares a post, or comments, it really does make my day. And every now and then one of you will come up and say "I really enjoy your blog," people that I would never dream would read it, and it makes me feel good. Honestly, if I am making you laugh, or think, or roll your eyes, or worry about my finances because of all my shopping (Mamaw), then I am doing my job. (Actually my job is an English teacher, but you know.) 

This year I have been able to meet some wonderful people through my blog, discuss some topics that I've enjoyed, and received some really kind and awesome feedback from so many of you. I haven't "grown" my blog in the typical sense of sponsors, lots of "followers," etc., and I would enjoy that in the future, but for now knowing that mostly people I know (and love!) are reading is enough.


So, the first of (I hope) many years here at A Dash of Ash is behind us. If I have even marginally entertained you along the way, it's been worth it. Let's see where this year takes us, shall we?

Happy birthday, little blog. I shall eat a cupcake in your honor.


Ash

3 comments

  1. Yay! Happy blog birthday! I feel the same way you do - even though I have such a small following, I still love it. I don't really know what my blog is about, but I know that I love it! Anyway, good work and keep it up! I've enjoyed reading along :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog. Just because they don't list as "followers" doesn't mean it's not being read. The stats tell the real story. Yours is uplifting & always makes me smile/laugh. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading and responding to your comments. Just make sure I am able to do that by linking your email address to your profile! Thank you for stopping by!