Hitting the Snooze...

I've always been a night owl. I love late-night movies, late-night conversations, late-night SNACKS (yum!)... you get the idea. Mornings, on the other hand, have never been my thing. I HATE getting up early. When I was a kid, my dad woke me up almost every morning, and hearing "Sissie, it's time to get up" was not something I particularly relished (although it was far superior to my mother's occasional early-morning romp through the house belting out "Rise and Shine and Give God the Glory".) 
Oh, brother.


Anyway, my aversion to getting up early only worsened as I got older, considering that the whole "hair and makeup routine" was added in, despite my late to the party attitude in that department. (I'm not completely certain that I ever HAVE fully joined that party, but that's neither here nor there.) So, actually caring about my appearance only added to the amount of time necessary to get ready in the morning, thus cutting my precious sleep time even shorter. THEN... I made the foolish decision to choose a career that forces me to be up early EVERY morning... and not just up, but perky and alert and ready to mold young minds before 10 a.m. Ha. Ha. Yes, I know. The irony is not lost on me either. 


I must be honest... I've felt this way.

So, since I now have to put effort into getting ready (rest in peace, tomboy phase) and since as a teacher I have to be up early Monday-Friday, the whole sleeping in thing is not really an option for me. So, how does a certified night owl deal with being forced into the rigors of early mornings? (Feel free to apply this unsolicited wisdom/advice to your own lives. You're welcome. Oh, and I know anyone with kids does not sympathize with my complaints, so consider yourselves excused.)

Well, since I am not only in love with sleep but also fundamentally lazy, I cut out as many steps in my morning as possible. I make our lunches at night, set out breakfast, etc. Also, since I am the most indecisive person ever (or am I? hehe) I absolutely cannot go to sleep unless every single part of my outfit is selected, ironed, whatever. Although these days any clothing that requires ironing is not getting much air-time in the life of Ashley. (See? Lazy.) Shoes, jewelry, jacket, etc. have to be lined up for action. Also, I have recently (like, this week) begun getting up EVEN EARLIER (what is wrong with me?!) to exercise, because I apparently have lost my mind. So, my workout clothes and tennis shoes and weights are by the door, ready to go.

Another thing that helps me (and might help you, if you are wise enough to heed my counsel) is having something in the morning that perks me up. For Jonathan, it's the sports news; this, as you might guess, is not material that makes me want to jump out of bed. However, I have a rotation of Pandora stations (Michael Buble, Walt Disney Classics, and more of my "happy music") that makes me feel at least a little cheery. Because, let's face it... who can stay grumpy when listening to songs from The Jungle Book, Mary Poppins, and Tangled? What's that? Exactly... NOBODY! =)

This sounds crazy, but I have given myself a bedtime. Not an actual time, but a general idea as to when I need to start winding down. (For me, this process starts around 9.) Yes, I know... I should dress up for Halloween as a yawn. But, my staying-up-late-to-watch-movies -or-study-or-act-stupid days from my teen years/college are far behind me. These days, I really cannot function without enough sleep. At the ripe old age of 23, I'm getting old! However, I'd rather turn off the tv and iPad and make myself sleep than feel like death in the morning. 

I also like to plan something (at least a couple mornings a week) to look forward to. Sometimes it's making time to stop for a biscuit at McDonald's, sometimes it's making muffins, sometimes it's just the outfit I'm wearing, but any little thing (usually FOOD) that gives me some extra incentive to get out of bed is usually worth an extra dollar or two. 

 And now I am off to my old-lady nighttime routine that involves an early bedtime and an slightly obsessive inability to sleep without knowing what I'll be wearing tomorrow. Maybe I shouldn't be giving any early morning tips? Anyway, I am sure that if you don't like getting up early in the morning that you will follow my advice and leap out of bed tomorrow just itching to start the day. Let me know how that feels, because I have yet to experience it. =)


Ash

No comments

I love reading and responding to your comments. Just make sure I am able to do that by linking your email address to your profile! Thank you for stopping by!