What's on My Nightstand

I mentioned in the other day, but I'm kind of drowning in library books at the moment. I feel like I walk a thin line between getting caught up in a movie-watching binge and reading nothing or having so many books to read that I feel overwhelmed. Thankfully, I'm on track to read at least as much as I did last year, baby and all =), so even when I feel like I've totally fallen off the reading wagon I usually make my way back around. It just takes me a lot longer to finish books these days since I read in little chunks of time. (I can't imagine why that is! Ha!)

Also, I just realized that only like two of these books are actually on my nightstand... so apologies for a misleading title. (Psych quote time: "I can't watch Channel 8 anymore. Lloyd Lansing wears a toupee... it's like every newscast begins with a lie.")

Anyway, I usually only read one or two books at a time but lately I've been trying to start a few at a time and make progress on them as I can. Here's what I have checked out:


This isn't even my nightstand. My bad. 


-Everyone Brave Is Forgiven by Chris Cleave- I just started this so I have no idea what to think yet, but I keep hearing about it on different blogs and it's supposed to be good (and I've heard comparisons to All the Light We Cannot See which I did enjoy.) All I really know is that it's set in London at the beginning of World War II and continues as the Blitz destroys the city. I rarely say no to a WWII story (I just finished this one) so hopefully this turns out to be a winner.

-Quotidian Mysteries: The Laundry, Liturgy, and "Woman's Work" by Kathleen Norris- I heard about this on Anne's podcast and all I really know about it is that it's about how we can find meaning and glorify God in our everyday, mundane tasks. Sounds right up my alley for this time, eh? Also it's short so I'll be able to finish it quickly and feel accomplished- a total win-win! (If you're like me and didn't know what "quotidian" meant, it just means "daily.")

-101 Dalmatians by Dodie Smith- I bought a really pretty hardcover copy of this for Amy since this is her favorite movie (and her childhood nickname was Rolly... for no apparent reason =) but I didn't even know the Disney movie was based on this book until recently. And Amy loved it and highly recommended to me so it's waiting on my stack!

-Navigating Early by Clare Vanderpool- I don't know much about this but a recent guest raved about it on Anne's podcast and I was sold. I've never read the author's more well-known book Moon Over Manifest (a Newberry winner) but I've heard great things about it so I have high hopes for this. Middle grade fiction consistently provides some of my favorite reading. 

-The Quiet Man: the Indispensable Presidency of George H.W. Bush by John Sununu. I just talked about this the other day, but I've read a little more of it since then. I just love George Bush so much; he was (and is) such a classy gentleman who truly loved our country and tried to put partisan issues aside for the good of America (imagine that!). It drags a little in places (like very specific and long descriptions of meetings and budgets and zzzzzz) but the inside look at the White House and how different decisions were made is interesting. It's interesting, given that John Sununu actually stepped down as Bush's chief of staff before his term ended, that he speaks so highly of President Bush and describes him with the utmost respect- another testament, I think, to Bush's excellent treatment of those around him. 

-American Mirror: the Life and Art of Norman Rockwell by Deborah Solomon- I know nothing about this but every time I go to the library I walk down the biography sections and grab one or two. I've always loved Rockwell paintings and especially the era he represented so this one seemed up my alley. Have I started it? Nope! 

-If You Can Keep It: the Forgotten Promise of American Liberty by Eric Metaxas- I've been looking forward to this one for months and it's definitely what I'll start next. Eric Metaxas is one of my favorite authors and this book is extremely timely with our culture being what it is. I'm sure I'll have an entire post to write about once I'm done reading it. 

-The Secrets of Happy Families by Bruce Feiler- I can't remember where I heard about this one (maybe from Janssen- always a safe bet) but the subtitle- "Improve Your Mornings, Rethink Family Dinners, Fight Smarter, Go Out and Play, and Much More"- sounds helpful so I'm hoping I'll enjoy it and learn something. I'm always eager to read a good parenting book (and one that doesn't leave me insanely depressed like this one. Yikes.) 

That's all! I feel like I left off a few but I was too lazy to go look at the pile of books on my coffee table. =) If you read any of these (or have anything good to pass along!) let me know! Virtual book club! (Now I just need virtual coffee and virtual cookies because I'm starting a diet this week and I can only have virtual calories. Maybe all this reading will distract me from my hunger. Say a prayer for my deprived little self! (Well, if it was little I wouldn't be dieting would I?) 

Happy reading!

No comments

I love reading and responding to your comments. Just make sure I am able to do that by linking your email address to your profile! Thank you for stopping by!