Never Once...

Last week, I mentioned that one of my sixth grade students was in a serious sledding accident. I didn't give many details, mostly because we still weren't sure what exactly had happened. As the situation unfolded, it became even more clear that Caleb was facing a long, uphill battle and there were many doubts about just how well he'd be able to recover. At the same time, it was amazing to see the thousands of people joining together on Facebook and in other groups to not only pray for Caleb and his family but also raise financial support for them. Caleb has been so special to me and Jonathan, and his mom is one of our fellow teachers and my good friend.

Over the past few days, there have been some updates that made us pretty nervous and some that were encouraging, but receiving the news yesterday that Caleb had responded well to being brought out of his coma was so exciting! We all prayed hard that he would soon be breathing on his own and able to communicate beyond nonverbal responses. As his mom texted me this morning, "Hope I get to hear my boy talk today!!" 

Since that was a possibility, I checked the Facebook prayer page repeatedly throughout the day but never heard an update about his talking or not. Tonight, during our revival service and in the middle of our song time, our pastor announced that Caleb had been awake and talking today! Apparently I had missed the update, but there it was:


Um, WOW! And not only did I hear that awesome announcement, but then our ensemble and congregation began singing this song and I was pretty much a basket case thinking about the incredible sovereignty and provision of our God.

Standing on this mountaintop, looking just how far we've come,
Knowing that with every step, You were with us.
Kneeling on this battleground, seeing just how much You've done,
Knowing ever victory was your power in us.
Scars and struggles on the way, but with joy our hearts can say,
Yes, our hearts can say,

Never once did we ever walk alone,
Never once did you leave us on our own,
You are faithful, God, You are faithful. 

Carried by your constant grace, 
Held within your perfect peace,
Never once did we ever walk alone.

Every step we are breathing in your grace,
 Evermore, we'll be breathing our your praise,
You are faithful, God you are faithful.

Basically, I couldn't make eye contact with anyone for fear of completely losing it onstage! But my goodness... I just can't get over this awesome news and the awesome truth of this song. Never once has Caleb or his wonderful family been without the constant grace and perfect peace of the Savior. And even though they still have a long way to go, we can all look back even now and see just how much He's done. 

!!!!! (That's me having my own mini-revival here. God is so good!)


Ash



1 comment

I love reading and responding to your comments. Just make sure I am able to do that by linking your email address to your profile! Thank you for stopping by!