Christmas/Winter in Mrs. McNeese's Classroom...

...before we get started, I have to share a Father of the Bride moment. When I wrote the title of this post, I imagined someone saying "Who's Mrs. McNeese?" and my replying like Steve Martin in the grocery store. "Who's George Banks?" "ME!" Sorry, I needed you to know that. 

Moving on.... I absolutely love Christmas. I may have mentioned a time or two that it is my favorite holiday by far; the glory of it definitely makes up for the crushing letdown that follows in the days after it ends. (December 26 is so depressing, no?) Anyway, I realized last year that I really love decorating my classroom for Christmas, but I can't cover every surface in red and green BECAUSE while I am extremely festive I am also lazy and there are few bulletin boards worth putting up for only three weeks. Hence, about half of my room is "Christmas" and the rest falls into the category of "winter" so that I can leave it up in January and add a few little New Years'/Presidential/Valentine's touches later on. (January-March is a total hodgepodge that I find rather dull, so I make up for it while I can.)

A nice thing about being a veteran teacher (all of 1.3 years now) is having decorations at my disposal once a new season rolls around (as opposed to buying everything like last year.) I don't take the BEST care of my stuff but I do try to keep it safe/organized and it has paid off big-time, especially my Christmas stuff. Other than a few "fillers" from Target and Walmart, everything was either from last year or made by me. Yay!

So, I bring you this year's Christmas/winter edition of my little classroom...



The obligatory (and biblically incorrect) nativity scene. One day I will get a really pretty one (like the one Jonathan has in his room) but for now this will have to do. And I know that the Wise Men were not at the manger, but apparently manufacturers haven't received that memo.


The banner here is from Target and the felt snowflake is from Walmart (both a dollar.)


Adhesive snowflakes from Walmart- $3. It was worth the money because they are colorful and prettier than anything I could cut out! =)


I never decorate the inside of my door, but I had some foam snowflakes lying around. They cost $1 at Target.


I'm pretty sure this tree is Carson-Dellosa (my favorite bb brand). It's hard to tell from far away, but each of the little trees is decorated. That was a nice 5-minute craft project that even my oldest (and grumpiest) students enjoyed!


It was stretching the truth a bit, but I did include every student's name. =) Also, I get little pieces like this laminated so that I can do names and things that I can erase later.


I have to thank Pinterest for this idea, although I can't find the original source. That red shape is half an Easter egg painted red. =)


This is one of my favorites: Pinterest again... found here. That's our pastor's face, by the way. I did ask his permission, and I think he already regrets agreeing to be my Buddy the Elf. =) 


Each day, one class gets to come up with the item for the song. I did with my class last year and it was pretty funny... "8 Christmas cupcakes", etc. I'm sure I'll here a lot of requests for Justin Bieber, which I will decline, as usual. Gotta love being surrounded by 13-year-olds...


Another $1 filler from Target.

$1 banner from Walmart.


I came up with this idea last year and did the same thing with my 3rd graders, only I made a tree instead of a wreath. I actually preferred the tree, but I think the wreath turned out pretty cute.


Last year's tree.


I felt this was a useful reminder, considering the age group I have. =)


Our class Christmas tree... the ornaments were $1 per tube at Target.


Purchased last year... I love my little snow couple! =) And I know the caption is lame... but such is life.


And I saved the best for last... because this is and will always be my very favorite bulletin board. My mom and Amy made the Grinch and Max for me last year, and even though the poor Grinch got a little wrinkled in storage, I still love it. I always stress out about the writing, since I only get one chance to make it perfect, but it turned out pretty good, I think. Don't you love the cotton balls and Santa hat? and Max's bow? Little touches like that are some of my favorite things. 

Yes, this took me FOREVER, but it's totally worth it. It's also the reason that a boy made the mistake of touching the snow on my Grinch board and I may or may not have threatened to cut off his fingers. Just kidding. But he won't touch another bulletin board again, I promise. =)

A few more ideas (I always have more ideas than I know what to do with) and things I've done in the past are:
- A Blizzard of Good Work (or good students)
- It's Snowing Good Work (or students or books or writing)
- Snowflakes are as Unique as We Are 
- Read, Read as Fast as You Can (with a gingerbread man... I'm doing this in January!)
- Good Manners Fit Like a Glove (with mittens/gloves)
- Frosty's Baby Picture (with a single snowflake... I love this!)
- Thanks Be to God for His Unspeakable Gift 
- Mr./Mrs. ________'s Gifts (with students' names)
- You better watch out, you better not cry, you better not pout I'm telling you why (or part of the words)... Mrs. _______ is coming to town! (maybe the principal's name? =)
- If I Lived in a Snowglobe- writing prompt/craft (they write a story and make a snowglobe from construction paper)
- Unwrap the Gift of God's Love
- Keys to a Great Year (for New Year's... have key shapes with tips).

I hope you enjoyed the peek into my room and a few bulletin board ideas. If you aren't a teacher, then this means nothing to you =) but if you are then you can relate! =) Any suggestions or ideas you've come across recently? Please share! And happy decorating in your room!

Ash 

1 comment

  1. Very festive! I started decorating my classroom this week as well!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading and responding to your comments. Just make sure I am able to do that by linking your email address to your profile! Thank you for stopping by!