Chocolate Eclair (aka Fancy Pudding)...

Call me crazy, (Okay..."Ashley, you're crazy!") but this week I have been feeling especially Betty-Crocker-like and have actually ventured into the kitchen several times. And by ventured, I mean actually preparing food that required a recipe and not a pair of scissors to remove the plastic wrapper or cardboard (although, don't judge me... you know frozen pizza is a staple for you too. No? Then, judge away...)

Anyway, I won't ramble on about my forays into housewifery (more about that sometime soon, though)... I now present you with the recipe for the yummo dessert we had yesterday. (Though sadly, nothing about it fashioned summer fruits into the likeness of a flag... I know, how un-American of me.) I actually made this Tuesday night (and the recipe makes an ENORMOUS amount, so I'll be halving it next time) and we shared it with friends and ate it for our family dinner last night, too.

This is good stuff, people! (And thanks to Mrs. Ann Reid for introducing this to me as a teenager, and for passing on the recipe to me in my old age. =)

Chocolate Eclair


Round up your ingredients: graham crackers, Cool Whip, margarine, cocoa, vanilla, sugar, milk, and vanilla pudding (if you are cheap frugal like me, you can buy all that Great Value stuff, but if you are very fancy, splurge for the real stuff. =)

Mix 1 cup sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa, 1/4 cup milk, 1 stick margarine, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes. Set aside and cool completely.

This is the part where you will want to tip the pot up and drink the chocolate like the fat kid on Willy Wonka. It's just that good.


Then mix up 2 boxes of INSTANT vanilla pudding (not making the mistake as I may or may not have in the past of buying "cook and serve" and having to travel back to Walmart at an ungodly hour to buy instant. Ugh!).



Then stir in 24 ounces of Cool Whip. (yes, it's A TON... hence I will make half of it next time.)


Then, you'll layer graham crackers and the Cool Whip/pudding mixture until you reach the top of your dish. Refrigerate JUST this part for a couple of hours.  

Then you will pour the chocolate awesome sauce on top and put it in the fridge overnight (or at least several hours, but I leave it as long as possible because I'm a weirdo and I just really like it super cold). Plus the wait kills you with suspense and taunts and torments you builds your self-control, er whatever.


You will end up with this masterpiece!!!



Aside from changing the amount next time, I might layer the chocolate throughout instead of just on top, if only for more deliciousness in every bite. And if you're wondering, the full recipe could easily feed 10 people generously, I'd say.

Happy eating, lovelies. Feel free to lick the bowl (not that I did, or anything, but you feel free to.)


Ash

4 comments

  1. Oh, Ashley, your blog is so grammatically correct! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, this looks amazing. Good thing I just ate dessert, or I'd be tempted to make it RIGHT NOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Maybe one of these days I'll post a recipe that doesn't call for an entire stick of margarine. :)

      Delete

I love reading and responding to your comments. Just make sure I am able to do that by linking your email address to your profile! Thank you for stopping by!