First Quarter Reading

For some reason, this quarter felt like I fell way off the reading wagon, but when I compared my numbers I had beat 3 out of 4 quarters last year, so what do I know? I guess it was because March was really busy and I did read quite a bit less than in January and February. (This is all very interesting to you, I know.) I don't want to be obnoxious about numbers either, so I'll just keep that to myself. (If you really want to know, I'll tell you. #fakeintrigue) 

Anyway, I don't know what it's been about the past few months but I feel like I have been in a bit of a reading lull in terms of quality. I'm still getting recommendations from my same favorite sources and sticking to tried and true favorite authors, genres, etc. But for whatever reason I feel like a book that really wows me is the exception rather than the rule these days, which makes the following books even more notable. They only represent a small fraction of the books I read this quarter and there's a whopping list of three sooo... maybe I should find some new and better titles? (Also I'm 27 and should probably stop slogging through books I don't enjoy, but it's not time to unpack that side of my personality right now. =) 


I don't look this cute while reading but then no one does. =)


-Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart. Normally a book with this plot would totally freak me out and send my HSP tendencies into a panic, but given the heavy/scary subject matter, it was surprisingly fun. This is based on the true story of the first female deputy in America, and, like I said, I was prepared to be freaked out. (Part of the story is that Constance and her sisters are terrorized by a local thug and his gang... which leads to her involvement with the sheriff and eventual deputization.) But the sarcastic, quirky relationship among the three sisters made me laugh and kept what could have been a scary story really light and fun (for the most part.) There is a subplot that I found a little troubling, at least in a couple of spots, but other than that I *really* enjoyed this and have recommended it probably half a dozen times since I read it. And you should definitely read the sequel, Lady Cop Makes Trouble. I hope there are more Kopp Sisters books on the way!

-The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart. I loved this and couldn't put it down! Reynie is a 12-year-old orphan who is "different," aka extremely intelligent. His tutor takes him to a test that was advertised for gifted children and he is one of only four who pass. They find themselves in the middle of a plot to save the world from the underlying evil forces that are working to destroy civilization... and if that sounds dramatic, it's also really fun. I love a book with word play or puzzles and this is full of them. It's a little like a cautionary tale with a bit of a dystopian feel, and even though it's over 400 pages I flew through it to see what would happen. This would be fun to read with your kids, I think. It's a great middle grade book!

-First Women by Kate Andersen Brower. This was SO good. I also read her book The Residence and enjoyed it but this one was my favorite. It doesn't just "dish" on the First Ladies (although I did love those parts!) but it really portrays them as human which is sometimes hard or even impossible to do given their high-profile lives and practically nonexistent margin for error while living in the public eye. I also enjoyed the way she revealed the relationships among the First Ladies. There is so much interesting information here- their personalities, the way they worked with their husbands and the staff, their political and social activities, parenting techniques, decorating and fashion tastes.... ah! This is like a dream come true for a history loving bonus features junkie like myself. I also thought t was very even-handed between Democrat and Republican First Ladies and based on facts rather than opinions. Highly recommend! (P.S. I've read a lot of books about the White House and my favorite is still this one. So good.) 

There you have it! I know, I usually have at least 10 and have to force myself to narrow things down but yeah, it's been a dry spell. If you've read anything good/great lately, do share! I am definitely looking for new titles! And as always if you have read or choose to read any of the ones I just mentioned, let me know so we can have a virtual book club. =)

No comments

I love reading and responding to your comments. Just make sure I am able to do that by linking your email address to your profile! Thank you for stopping by!