Friday, March 30, 2012
It's Friday... but today is a very special Friday. Today is the last day of school before spring break!!! I cannot CONTAIN my excitement. This next week is going to be so awesome... we're not going out of town or anything, but my parents are coming and I am totally looking forward to just hanging out at home and relaxing! So, that deserves a high five itself! Now, on to the list...
1. I got to talk to my best friend Sara last night. (This picture is like 3 years old, but alas, we are never together these days to take a new one! And I like the birthday hats =) Anyway, we are both busy with our first year teaching and do not get to talk as often as I'd like, but we had a nice, long, newsy chat. Swapping classroom stories, quoting Psych, discussing the implications of Joseph's dreams (oh yeah, deep theological discussions went down)... it was a great conversation with one of my very favorite people. Love you Sahara!
2. I read this book in 7th grade and bought it on my Kindle this week. Beverly Cleary is my favorite children's author and a huge inspiration when it come to her writing style. One day when I write my children's book that my aunt keeps telling me to write, I will definitely be channeling my inner Beverly Cleary. Anyway, this sweet little book, published in 1959, is about a typical 15-year-old girl whose life is changed when a handsome, older boy singles her out of a crowd and asks her to dance. As she gets to know the boy, she learns that popularity is really not all it's cracked up to be. (Still true 50+ years later, huh?) What I love most is the adorable descriptions of teenage life back then. Pleated skirts, saddle shoes, sewing class, Cokes at the drive-in... what an innocent decade compared to now! (And yes, I did just post about The Hunger Games... I'm not a literary schizophrenic, I promise! I just have different books for different moods. Sometimes I'm in the mood for post-apocalyptic violence; sometimes 1950's Americana.)
3. Ah, Easter... the season for celebrating Jesus' resurrection... and Cadbury mini eggs. These are seriously the best Easter candy ever. (I know it's un-American of me, but I think Peeps are so gross!) Anyway, thanks to my mother, I am completely addicted to these. I bought a bag of them on Tuesday night and... they're all gone now. And I didn't share. (Sorry, kids!)
4. I have been on the hunt for a pair of nude pumps for about three months now. And I've seen a million pairs that I like, but you know me...
I'm the cheapest person ever I have to find a bargain! And most of the time, I refuse to pay full price for anything. But after this long and fruitless search, I broke down and paid full price for these pumps from Target. They fit well, are comfortable, were the shade and shape I was looking for, and the heels weren't too high (I know, I'm a wimp). Anyway, I debuted them on Sunday and I love them! For a long time I didn't embrace the nude shoe trend because I thought I would feel like Kim Kardashian (ew) but I didn't. Not a famous-for-being-stupid-and-skanky moment at all! =)
5. Baseball season is finally here! I am definitely not
obsessed with into baseball the way I was at say, 13. You know, back when I used to have the Mariners 30-man roster memorized, complete with batting averages. These days, I follow more at a distance, and I have extended my fan love to the Braves since moving to Georgia 7 years ago. (BTW, am I the only person who's broken-hearted that Chipper Jones is retiring after this year? I know he's a dinosaur but he is truly a legend in the ATL.) Even though I don't know every stat these days, there is still something magical about the start of baseball season. It's one of my favorite things I share with my dad, and I love it. Anyway, the Mariners started off with W against the A's and the Braves... well, we'll just see. But here's to a great season for both teams! Can't wait to catch a few games this summer!
Well, folks, that's my High Five for Friday. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend! I will be spring-breaking it up here it Goldsboro! Woohoo!